Attacker awaiting sentencing after Lebanon man is knifed

Michael Ryan Van Gelder, 30, of Lebanon, has been found guilty of menacing and fourth-degree assault after he used a knife to attack a man near 809 S. Main St. on Sept. 28.

He signed a conditional release on Oct. 9 in Linn County Circuit Court that required Van Gelder to “report to Linn or Benton County Mental Health within 72 hours and comply with all treatment recommendations.” A sentence hearing is scheduled for Oct. 25.

The victim, Elizah F. Bullock, 40, was treated and released the evening of the incident.

Lebanon Police officers responded to a report of a disturbance near 809 S. Main St. at 7 p.m. on Sept. 28.

Officers were advised that someone involved in the disturbance was injured, and that a male with a knife was being held at gunpoint by a bystander, according to an LPD statement. The bystander had a valid concealed-carry permit.

Before officers arrived, several other bystanders had disarmed and detained Van Gelder.

Police said that Van Gelder had been riding his skateboard north-bound on Main Street. While attempting to cross Grant Street, he initiated a verbal altercation with the driver of a vehicle, identified as Bullock.

Bullock stopped in the immediate area and was confronted by Van Gelder, who displayed a large, fixed-blade knife toward Bullock, who was heading to pick up his daughter from dance class at the time.

“The guy thought I said something to him,” Bullock said. “He hit the pole, then tried stabbing into my car.”

A bystander, who was a patron of a business near the altercation, witnessed Van Gelder with the knife; he drew his concealed firearm and demanded that Van Gelder drop the knife.

Van Gelder attempted to flee the area and was physically detained by Bullock and another bystander.

Bullock was assaulted by Van Gelder while he was attempting to detain him.

“I don’t know him,” Bullock said of Van Gelder. “I know of him. He lives in same apartment complex.

“His sister came over and was apologetic.”

Bullock was treated at the scene by Lebanon Fire Department medics for a minor injury and released.

Bullock went to Samaritan Lebanon Community Hospital where he received three stitches.

Hospital staff took an MRI to “make sure my eye socket wasn’t fractured,” Bullock said. “That came back OK.”

He spent about three hours in the emergency room, he said.

He took the next day off work and wanted to make sure his daughter knew he was OK. He had lunch with her at school.

“My daughter came out and saw my face all bloody,” Bullock said of the incident.

“She is 7 years old.”