Fire extinguished quickly on Russell

The Lebanon Fire Department responded to a fire at 375 Russell St. at around 2:30 p.m.

Martha Richardson was in her kitchen trying to flip the electrical switch — which had just shut off — when she heard a banging on her front door. Someone was trying to alert the family about a fire in their backyard.

A shed-type structure was in flames. Her husband, Gatlen, tried extinguishing the flames with a hose while they waited for the fire department to arrive. Neighbors also rushed to the scene to help move items away from the fire.

The fire department was able to extinguish the fire within a couple minutes using fire retardant.

Martha said she doesn’t know what could have started the fire, but no animals or people were harmed.

This post will be updated if further information is provided.

“I’m thankful just someone was driving by and came and knocked on our door. Otherwise we had no idea,” Martha said.

Sarah Brown, reporter