LFD responds to fire on Williams Street

Provided photo

Firefighters responded to a house fire at 1107 Williams St. at approximately 9:05 a.m. this morning, March 11. Williams Street was closed to through traffic between Elmore and Oak streets.

Two adults and a small child were alerted by their smoke alarms and had to escape from a second story window.

Residents of the home were upstairs in their room when they were alerted by the sound of a smoke detector. One occupant went down to investigate when they noticed fire engulfing the living room area and covering the front door. Two adults and one child made it safely out of the house prior to the fire department’s arrival. The occupants’ pet dog did not make it out, and succumbed to the fire.

A volunteer firefighter was the first on scene and gave vital information to the incident commander prior to their arrival. The fire was knocked down after one hour and 20 minutes of battling the blaze. Lebanon Fire District responded with 20 personnel on one truck, one engine, three ALS ambulances, one heavy rescue, one rehab unit and three chief officers. Lebanon Fire District was assisted by Sweet Home Fire and Ambulance District and Tangent Fire District during the incident by helping cover incoming emergencies.

The Lebanon Fire District would like to remind people that working smoke detectors save lives. Daylight savings happens this weekend, which is great time to change out your smoke detectors batteries.

The family living in the house enjoys a brief snowfall last December. File photo