Man arrested in Walmart threat

Samuel F. Ayres, 19, was arrested on Nov. 9 for domestic menacing, unlawful use of a weapon, second-degree disorderly conduct, coercion, and two counts of second-degree criminal mischief. There is an additional charge of unlawful dissemination of an intimate image listed on the Linn County Jail inmate roster.

Lebanon Police Department responded to a call from a Walmart employee at about 9:04 p.m. on Nov. 8. The employee was at work when she said she received a text message from Ayres, her former boyfriend, stating that he was going to kill her. The text message included a photo of his hand pointing a handgun at the store, according to an LPD news release.

When officers arrived, Ayres messaged her again, telling her he could see the police cars. At this point, it was unknown if Ayres had made into the store or if he was in the parking lot.

As a precaution, LPD evacuated the entire area, including the store, and took the caller to a safe location.

Several law enforcement agencies including Linn County Sheriff’s Office, Oregon State Police and the Albany Police Department arrived to assist in searching and clearing the building and surrounding areas.

Several K-9 officers, who happened to be training in a neighboring city, also arrived and assisted in searching the area. During the police activity, it was learned Ayres had fled the area to an unknown location.

Police continued the search and allowed the workers to return to Walmart after they determined the area was safe.

On Nov. 9, LPD learned that Ayres was potentially at his residence on Del Rio Drive in Albany.

As officers and detectives came into the area of the residence, Ayres was seen exiting his residence and getting into the passenger seat of a vehicle.

The vehicle drove towards Lebanon.

Lebanon officers were able to locate the vehicle on Denny School Road and executed a high-risk traffic stop due to the nature of threats Ayres had made the night prior, as well as the possibility that he may have been armed.

It was at this time that Ayres was taken into custody without incident or injury. He was transported to the Lebanon Jail and will be transported to Linn County Jail.