Neighbor’s quick action slows fire at Lebanon home

A house on Bromil Street was damaged Thursday afternoon when ashes ignited the patio deck in the rear of the home, according to the Lebanon Fire District.

At approximately 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, Lebanon Fire District personnel responded to 145 Bromil St. after a neighbor noticed smoke and fire coming from the rear exterior of the house.

Using a garden hose, the neighbor was able to slow the progress of the fire and alert the occupants, who were still inside the home, according to a statement from LFD.

Lebanon firefighters arrived and removed smoldering decking and siding to completely extinguish the fire. There were no injuries on scene. The fire did not extend into the house or attic, according to LFD.

A total of 15 personnel, three engines, and three command officers responded to the scene.

According to the statement, the cause of the fire was improperly discarded ashes from a metal fire pit on the patio deck. Damage was estimated at $4,000.